Sunday, September 7, 2008

Day of the Dead



Growing up in Nogales, AZ, I was extremely influenced by the culture. I miss the wildly colored houses visible from across the Mexican border. Even though we lived in the high plains desert, the town was alive with brilliant hues.

Nogales, Sonora is a tourist town and one can find the most beautifully painted ceramics, Mexican silver jewelry, and woven textiles.

I just love the mix of Catholic and Pre-Columbian imagery that permeates the religious iconography. These Day of the Dead pillows are my own tribute to the little town where I grew up.

I have some of these pillows listed on Etsy in my store bruk66. I really appreciate the website and their push for handmade items. It is wonderful to be able to broadcast images of my work to a wider audience and/or clientele.

Please check out Etsy.com for handmade items and my store bruk66.


1 comment:

AH said...

Those are great! Love them!
Congrats on joining the St. Louis Craft Mafia. It's a great bunch of people, you will love it.